Hi, I am Yao Ming (明遥)
Research Scientist at Bloomberg LP
My research interest lies in the intersection between Visualization and Machine Learning. I am passionate about making machine learning systems more transparent and explainable using visualization and interaction techniques.
Prior to HKUST, I received my B.S. in Civil Engineering with a minor in Economics from Tsinghua University in 2016. During my undergraduate, I found my interests in chorus, graphic design, and computer science.
- Apr 2020. I joined Bloomberg AI Group as a research scientist.
- Dec 2019. I successfully defended my thesis dissertation.
- Oct 2019. Our paper using visualization to incooperate expert knowledge in deep sequence models was presented at IEEE VIS 2019.
- Aug 2019. I will present our paper on interpretable sequence learning at KDD 2019 @ Anchorage, Alaska.
- Jul 2019. Two papers are accepted to IEEE VIS 2019 @ Vancouver. One paper uses visualization to help incooperate expert knowledge in deep learning models. The other paper is about teaching practical visualization tools.
Explainable Machine Learning
1. Interpretable & Explainable Deep Learining
2. ML Transparency & Explainable Machine Learning
Research / Work Experience
|Aug 2016 - Apr 2020|
HKUST-WeChat Joint Lab on AI TechnologyHong Kong
Postdoc Research Associate (2020.02 - 2020.04), PhD Student (2016.08-2019.12)
|Jun 2019 - Sep 2019|
Alibaba Damo AcademyHangzhou, China
Research Intern (advised by Dr. Hongxia Yang)
|Jul 2018 - Dec 2018|
Robert Bosch LLCSunnyvale, CA
Research Intern (advised by Dr. Panpan Xu), Human Machine Interaction Group
|Jan 2018 - Jun 2018|
New York UniversityNY
Research Intern (advised by Prof. Enrico Bertini), VIDA Lab
|Mar 2015 - Jul 2015|
Tsinghua UniversityBeijing, China
Research Assistant (advised by Prof. Yong-Jin Liu), Dept. of Computer Science
Honors and Awards
|2019||Best Short Paper Honorable Mention of IEEE VIS 2019|
|2019||SENG Academic Award for PhD Students|
|2019||KDD Student Travel Award|
|2018||Yelp Dataset Challenge Round 10 Grand Prize Award|
|2016 - 2020||Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF)|
|2016||Outstanding Graduate of Beijing|
|2015||Nomination of Tsinghua Top Talent Scholarship|
|2015||National Endeavor Scholarship|
|2015||Second Prize in the 1st National Geotechnical Engineering Contest|